ID-backed account or the real name system means that your must show your legal identity certificate and sign the name on your legal identify certificate when you wish to open an account in the financial institutions, which will check the name and number of your legal identity certificates. On April 1, 2000, according to the regulations of applicable documents, China start to adopt the real-name system.
The valid identify certificates for personal deposit account include:
(1) For Chinese citizens above 16 years old living in China: ID card, Hukou (certificate of permanent residence), and passport; for Chinese citizens below 16 years old living in China: Hukou; for Chinese citizens living abroad: China’s passport.
(2) For servicemen: military ID certificates; for policemen: police ID certificates.
(3) For residents in Hong Kong and Macao: the Mainland Travel Permit for Hong Kong and Macao Residents; for residents in Taiwan: the Mainland Travel Permit for Taiwan Residents or other valid travel certificates;
(4) For foreign nationals: passports.
(5) Other valid certificates stipulated by the law.
You have to present you valid identify certificate when using the following services:
(1) when you open a personal settle account (demand deposit account), deposit account and bankcard account;
(2) when you withdraw a large amount of cash that exceeds RMB 50,000;
(3) when you transfer a large amount of funds and deposit a large amount of cash that exceeds RMB 100,000.
(4) when you make withdrawals, deposit a large amount of cash, or transfer a large amount of funds on behalf of another person;
(5) when you report a loss, cancel, access or freeze your account;
(6) when you purchase securities sold by the bank such as registered treasury bonds, funds and insurance;
(7) when you make advance withdrawal of term deposit;
(8) and/or when you request a statement of deposits, remit funds through Express Remittance, transfer the funds no less than RMB 100,000 to another account, or apply for different-location collection of saving deposits.